Discover the Truth Behind the Alluring False Mask!
Narcissists are known to be charming, attractive individuals who are also extremely self-centered. They have a tendency to view the world as revolving around them and their needs. Anybody can fall victim to these types of individuals if you aren’t aware of what you are getting yourself into. Read on to discover if this description sounds like someone you know.
- What Is a Narcissist?
- How to Recognize a Narcissist?
- Strategies for Dealing With a Narcissist
What Is a Narcissist?
A narcissist is someone who has an extreme amount of self-love that borders on obsession. They often believe that the world revolves around them and their needs. Narcissists often use charm and flattery to get what they want. They make you feel like you are the most special person in the world, and they are always eager to spend time with you.
How to Recognize a Narcissist?
If you are in a relationship with someone who seems to be preoccupied with themselves, it is a good idea to look more closely at the situation. There are some specific traits that you will want to keep an eye out for – and they can be signs of a narcissist.
- They are always the center of attention.
Narcissists want to be the focus of the room at all times. You will notice that they rarely listen to what other people have to say, and they are always eager to take the lead in conversations.
- They have a sense of entitlement.
Narcissists feel like they are entitled to the best treatment all the time, whether they have earned it or not. This can make them difficult to be in a relationship with, and they will often make unreasonable demands. They are always complaining that they aren’t being treated the way that they feel they deserve.
- They lack empathy.
If you are in a relationship with a narcissist, you will notice that they don’t seem to care about your feelings. They are unable to put themselves in your shoes—they will never be able to fully relate to what you are going through. Empathy is the ability to understand what someone else is feeling.
Strategies for Dealing With a Narcissist
If you suspect that you are in a relationship with a narcissist, you should try to keep your cool as much as possible. Narcissists are extremely sensitive to criticism, and they don’t respond well to confrontation. If you want to be successful in confronting a narcissist, you will want to keep a few things in mind:
- Be careful with your tone. Narcissists will be able to sense your emotions, and they will respond to your energy. It is important that you keep your voice level and avoid sarcasm or anger when confronting a narcissist.
- Focus on the positive. Narcissists are always focused on their own needs, and they always want attention. It is possible to redirect this need for attention by pointing out all of the positive things that you have noticed about them.
- Be careful with your words. It is possible to confront a narcissist and get your point across without making them feel attacked.
- Set boundaries. You might want to consider setting boundaries with your narcissist partner. Let them know that you are not willing to allow them to treat you in a certain way.
- Consider ending the relationship. If you have tried all of the other strategies and nothing seems to work, you may want to consider ending the relationship.
Narcissists are charming individuals who are also extremely self-centered. They have a tendency to view the world as revolving around them and their needs. By recognizing the signs of narcissism, you can better protect yourself against relationship abuse. Keep these signs and symptoms in mind if you think that you are in a relationship with a narcissist.
The author of this article is a therapist from the Sensera app. Sensera is a daily 10-minute self-therapy app. It’ll help you to cope with various mental problems (anxiety, self-esteem, relationship issues). Feel better with CBT audio sessions and exercises. Download now to become happier!